The City of Greenville owns and operates a secondary wastewater treatment plant, and has treated wastewater since the 1930′s. The present plant was built in 1960, and expanded in 1970, 1998 and then again in 2012. At that time the plant capacity was increased to 1.50 MGD. The present loading rate is 1.15 MGD.
Wastewater Treatment Process
The phosphorous is removed from the final effluent by the use of ferric chloride. This final effluent is also dechlorinated with sodium bisulfate before discharge into the Flat River. The sludge removed by the various treatment processes is anaerobically digested. It is then land applied to agricultural acreage using subsurface injectors by a private contractor.