The Planning and Zoning Department is responsible for administrating and enforcing all planning and zoning codes. The department works with Planning Commission, the City Council, citizens, and private developers to ensure that each development in Greenville fits within the regulations of its specific zoning district and meets the character of the community. All zoning codes and requirements can be found in the Zoning Ordinance.
Planning & Zoning Forms & Applications
The City of Greenville Master Plan has been prepared by the City Planning Commission under the provisions of the Michigan Planning Enabling Act, Public Act 33 of 2008, as amended. The Planning Act authorizes municipalities to prepare and adopt a plan for the following purposes:
- To promote the public health, safety, and general welfare;
- To encourage the use of resources in accordance with their character and adaptability;
- To avoid overcrowding of the land by buildings and people;
- To lessen congestion on public roads and streets;
- To facilitate a transportation system, sewage disposal, safe and adequate water supply, recreation and other public improvements; and,
- To consider the character and suitability of land for particular uses.
Planning & Zoning Maps